Hints & Tips
Here are some handy tips on the best way to store your possessions:
- Boxes should be filled to capacity to avoid them tipping or collapsing.
- Seal boxes completely with packing tape. This will help keep out dust.
- Use bubble wrap to fill gaps. Use smaller boxes for heavy items.
- Wrap fragile items and pictures individually in bubble wrap before storing.
- Hang clothes in wardrobe boxes to help avoid creasing them.
- Avoid using plastic bags.
- Because humidity can gather in plastic bags and cause damage to your goods, we recommend you avoid storing your belongings in plastic bags.
- Label boxes, keeping an inventory of your items.
- Drain and dry freezers, washing machines and fridges prior to storage, and store these items with the doors wedged open.
- Garden equipment should be cleaned. Wipe metal surfaces with WD-40 or similar and drain petrol and diesel from machinery before storing.
- Keep from harm by ensuring that no sharp edges protrude.
- Cover your furniture with dust covers, sheets, or cotton cloth.
- Remove legs from tables, wrap the top in blankets and stand on end.
- Stack chairs ‘seat to seat’.
- Maximise space by stacking similar size boxes together and by storing fragile items in furniture drawers.
- Items that you will need to get to frequently should be stored close to the door.
What not to store
If you have any questions about storing a specific item, check with your friendly Hi-Tech Self Storage staff member. Items you should never store include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Live animals
- Flammable liquids/fuels
- Toxic materials
- Illegal or stolen goods
- Other items that need a controlled environment